Sunday, November 15, 2009

Don't Buy A Pet This Christmas

A good friend of mine helps to run an animal sanctury and this time of the year makes him feel pretty sad at times. It makes him feel sad because of the people that arrive at the sanctuary with their pets, in the main they are dogs and cats.



'You want to hear the excuses they come up with,' he'll say to me, 'to justify dumping what was once a close member of the family.'

I have recently divorced from my husband and can no longer afford to keep this dog as a pet
The dog has started to bite my children
The dog is too difficult to handle and is destroying my furniture
We have recently moved into a flat. One of their rules is that no animals can live in these flats
The dog barks to much and it is upsetting the neighbours
Our other animals do not like the dog
The dog is affecting my health
I am too ill to look after my dog

Now don't get me wrong Mike is not judging these people his main role is in finding suitable homes for these pets and well to be honest that's easier said than done.

The purpose of this post is to ask you to think about pets this Christmas. And if you are thinking of getting a pet for Christmas - DON'T. Leave it to mid-January at the earliest, you'd be surprised at just how many people rush in to buy pets for Christmas only to discover afterwards that they really can't mind them. If you are going to buy a pet do it with a clear head.

No comments:

Post a Comment